Saturday, January 16, 2010

Is AA a Religion?

I will begin by advising both regulars and newcomers that this is only one of myriad topics that we'll be discussing here, so don't want anyone put off by this week's heavier subject matter after last week's lighthearted look at sex in the kitchen. Also, as I have many friends who are, like me, "Friends of Bill," and know that most others have been touched in some way by addiction either personally or in their families, please know that I intend no offense in anything which follows. As always, these are my thoughts and mine alone, worth exactly what you're paying for them unless you choose to assign some other value - your prerogative...

I will begin by reminding all that I am a recovering alcoholic, having just passed the seven month mark in what I intend to be a lifelong commitment to sobriety. It was with the greatest reluctance that I admitted last summer that my drinking was more in control of me than I of it, a situation I chose to reverse of my own accord, and not as the result of some precipitating incident, court order, spousal ultimatum, calamity or other outside pressure. I actually strongly considered at the time trying to go it alone, and am not convinced that I couldn't have made it. However, like most "problem drinkers" (almost always a cute term that alcoholics or their enablers utilize prior to the light coming on), I had tried half-halfheartedly to quit a few times and failed. Fortunately, my best friend Shawn, who had been a big drinking buddy and who had been in the program for more than a decade at the time, had through AA, therapy and intensive introspection, turned his life around. Fortunately I had enough sense to know that I was going to need some help. Like me, he was raised Catholic, in a household where drinking was a constant, and is a floater between agnosticism and atheism. He assured me that I was bright enough to work my way past the "God stuff" and told me that he would stand by my side, but only if I would give the program a try. I'm eternally grateful that he did.

It is interesting to note that, according to dictionary definitions, one would be hard-pressed not to deem Alcoholics Anonymous a religion. One of the definitions in Merriam Webster's online dictionary is "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith." I can assure you that nobody who is an active participant in AA, NA or any other 12-step program will deny that this is, in fact, a perfect definition of the program. Other definitions and other dictionaries use the word "religious" pretty liberally, with little distinction made between "religious" and "spiritual." For most of us, there is a decided distinction between the two which I will get to shortly...

As a quick aside, I was similarly put off some years back - a decade I guess now that I think of it, when I was running for Congress. I was very big on campaign finance reform - was in fact my cornerstone issue (I didn't win so there may be a lesson there...) Anyway, I was trying to draw the distinctions between politics (bad) and government (potentially good.) Go ahead and look it up, I'll wait. Uh-huh. In almost every dictionary the definition of politics is "the art of government." What the hell is that all about? I just really, really hate "a horse is a horse" definitions. Sorry, I digress...

AA's GSO (General Service Organization) is tax exempt and does instruct affiliates on how to achieve tax exempt status, but pointedly relies not on the church exemption (which I think is a crock of shit) but on the general non-profit service organization exemption. Kudos for that important distinction. However, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco in a 2007 ruling, said "...the constitutional dividing line between church and state (sic) is so clear that a parole officer can be sued for damages for ordering a parolee to go through rehabilitation at Alcoholics Anonymous or an affiliated program for drug addicts." And rulings from across the nation since 1996 have established that "requiring a parolee to attend religion-based treatment programs violates the First Amendment," the court said. I suppose it is understandable that, just as much of the general public cannot explain the difference between spiritual and religious, the government is apparently unable to formulate a distinction either. (Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/08/BA99S1AKQ.DTL#ixzz0cpLBaWBX) (Another topic for another day...)

Ok, enough of the formalities. You all know, or should know by now, that I don't do religion. Everyone is welcome to his or her own, and I make no judgments. I was raised in a religious household, attended parochial school and mass every day except Saturday from before I can remember to when I was 14 or so; baptized, confirmed, altar boy, the whole nine yards. Hell, I'm told all the mothers had me slated for the seminary. I guess they willfully ignored my undisguised affinity for the fairer sex. Religion can do that to you - myopia I mean. I managed to pretty well jettison the practice without losing the concept and basic beliefs, and even got baptized a second time as a Mormon, hoping to get into a certain lovely lassie's temple garments. That didn't take either, as she had some silly notion about marriage before the fun stuff and I wasn't going for any of that. Over the course of time my belief in the Christian version of God was replaced with one larger and more universal...

Point being, I'm no stranger to religion, rituals, practices, scriptures, etc. Again, there is little on the surface that distinguishes AA from traditional religions. Question is, is there anything at all? I believe there is, something rather large, and will attempt to explain...

First, AA is very straightforward in virtually all its written materials (texts) regarding "A Higher Power" and "the God of your(sic) understanding." Granted, Bill and the other founders in the 1930s were typical and traditional Christians for the most part, and admittedly introduced this flexibility only after some serious consideration. And the fact that every meeting I've been to opens with the Serenity Prayer - "God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change..." and closes with the Lord's Prayer - "Our Father, who art in Heaven..." seems to mitigate in favor of the traditional western monotheistic Christian God model. The second tradition (there are twelve) states in part: "...there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself ..." Again, we have a monotheistic deity apparently male in gender - old white haired fart floating in the clouds, right? But more critically, the third tradition states: "The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Do we detect a dichotomy here? Well, duh! Of course we do, and that's the point. While the second tradition may be offensive to atheists, agnostics, Wiccans, Hindus, Buddhists, etc., it is not exclusive - as He (yeah, I hate that too) may express himself to one as "She," as "Mother Earth," as "The Infinite Universe," or as the high holy tadpole circling the sun. The fact that a bunch of Christians used Christian language to describe the God of their understanding isn't nearly as surprising as the fact that they very generously left a hole for the rest of us wide enough to drive a universe through. And the third tradition is exquisite in its simplicity. Anyone and everyone who desires to stop drinking is invited, and by simply showing up becomes a member. I really know of no religion whose doors are that wide open, which makes so little demand on its members. You need not believe in its heaven or its hell, its sins or its salvations, honor its patriarchs or saints or cherubim or seraphim or idols or icons or texts or anything else. You don't have to read or memorize or recite or vow, to wear special garments or honor certain days, tithe or fast or self-flagellate or kneel or make signs in the air or on your body. Most critically, you are not compelled to believe anything - only desire. And that which you desire is supported by real tangible evidence in the form of fellow members who had the same desire, followed the same steps you'll be following, and have actually and demonstrably achieved exactly what you hope to achieve. Is there any traditional or non-traditional religion that you know of that requires absolutely nothing of its members, except a desire to stop doing something that is destroying our lives? If, so, please let me know...

If you Google the title of this post, you'll find several entries, almost all anti-AA and making the argument that AA is in fact a religion requiring fealty to their credos and rituals and some even accusing AA of being a cult. I will not cast aspersions on the authors, as I don't know them and haven't walked in their shoes. I will say that the one time that I tried AA before - perhaps 15 years or so ago - can't remember now, I went to one or two meetings, under spousal duress if memory serves, and walked away absolutely put off by "all the God stuff." It was God this and God that and higher power this, and surrender and pray and, aaaargh! I couldn't take it! Turns out that the problem wasn't AA - it was me. I wasn't ready yet. I hadn't hit my bottom. I hadn't admitted that I had a problem I couldn't handle by myself and that I needed help. And that's all AA is, is help. It is a tool in the tool belt - really a set of tools. Go out on a construction site sometime and see how much is being accomplished by the workers who have a belt full of tools but nothing in their hands...

My guess is that the authors of these articles are for the most part real alcoholics or addicts, came into the program looking for someone else to fix their problems, and walked away disappointed and angry. (All untreated non-recovering alcoholics and addicts, by the way, are angry. Most generalizations are dangerous, but not this one. Anger and self-loathing are two universal symptoms...) People become similarly disenchanted with actual religions, which they turn to hoping for some improvement in their lives and when it doesn't come to pass blame the church or the religion or the God or the minister or almost anyone but themselves. Of course the smart religions don't promise anything in the here and now, but only in the hereafter. Kind of tough to disprove in this life, eh? Which is another very important distinction between AA and actual religions. AA's promise is temporal, worldly, tangible. What AA promises is that if you dedicate yourself each day to not drinking, and if you follow the steps that others have followed to accomplish this task which is very difficult for most of us, that the alcohol (or drugs or eating or gambling or sex or any other addiction that has a twelve-step program) will no longer control your life. It doesn't say you'll have eternal salvation, be rich and famous, have perfect body, a shiny car, a great sex life, a happy marriage. It doesn't say that your life will be perfect or that the underlying psychological and spiritual causes of your addictive and destructive behavior will be cured. All it says is that the destructive behavior will no longer control your life. And it works...

I know we're way over budget here, so let me close with these few observations. While AA and other twelve step programs are not, in my view, religions, they are deeply and profoundly spiritual. They do require that the participant admit his or her weakness and insignificance in the face of a greater power. For me, that greater power is the eternal infinite universe, against the power and magnificence of which I am less significant than a single molecule of salt in all the oceans of the earth. For you, it may be something totally different. If, however, you believe that there is no power higher than yourself, don't waste your time, because for you, the programs won't work. For you more so, but for every addict, the problem isn't the alcohol or the drugs or the sex or the eating or the gambling or the stealing or whatever destructive behavior is your particular demon or combination of demons. The problem is you, the individual. And for those too myopic or stubborn to see their own weakness and too prideful to admit they need help, no religion or program or anything else will ease their suffering. I know. I were one once...

9 comments:

  1. This definition of politics is more complete and arguably more correct:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics

    Politics is a process by which groups of people make decisions. The term is generally applied to behavior within civil governments, but politics has been observed in all human group interactions, including corporate, academic and religious institutions. It consists of "social relations involving authority or power" and refers to the regulation of a political unit, and to the methods and tactics used to formulate and apply policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification Rob. You know I'm not allowed to rely too heavily on Wikipedia, but I like this one. Also, and I guess a distinction I've never made in my mind, is the difference between electoral politics and governmental politics. Your/wiki's definition more clearly speaks to the latter than the former, and it is really a divorce between the two that I would most like to see occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honored...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a Methodist/Catholic/Baptist/Non-Denom/Methodist/Catholic/Nothing. I have attended, kneeled, crossed, tithed, studied, prayed, committed - still addiction controlled my life. I have maintained belief in "God as I knew Him" without regard to the size or shape of the building or the garments of it's leader.
    The 12-Step Program is not my "religion." It instructs, gives direction, supports, provides hope, and unconditionally understands my desire.
    I do not have to be a member of or participate in any organized religion. I do not struggle with belief in God AS I KNOW HIM, as I always have.
    Religion 'saved' me but left me in the water (assuming as a 'follower' I would climb out on my own).
    The 12-Step Program asked if I was ready to get out of the water, then threw me a rope to guide me to the ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you make ur points well, although I am more intrigued by ur thoughts on a few of the off-topic remarks, such as tax-exemptions and the politics of government.

    I don't know sometimes if you are talking to the reader or to yourself...doesn't really matter, huh? I mean, I read the entire post. I say that because you seem to be taking about your own evolution [?] mostly. That's cool...you're qualified to do so. [smile].

    Back on topic ... I fail to see the difference between AA and major religions when looking at the big picture except for one thing: Religions require you to believe first, AA allows you to come to believe. The outcomes seem to be the same. True, religious people of little understanding seem to only focus on some future benefit. Spiritual people understand that there are immediate benefits in this life. Transformations in this life are quite similar in both orgs., [AA & churches], although I acknowledge that some large religious groups are far more superficial than others.

    The biggest benefit I found in 12-step groups was that I was given exercises that I could actually do. I never experienced that in the many churches I visited. It was okay for me to be where i was, spiritually and emotionally, at any given time.

    So technically, I think you are absolutely right. In a practical, practicing application, I think that the simple, "fake it until you make it" is the same...exactly the same....

    I had a social worker/AA counselor for a mom, an alcoholic dad, and then my own go-round in recovery when I became addicted to prescription drugs when the VA granted me an unlimited supply to pain killer, various narcotics, and mood stabilizers...[Gulf War Syndrome]. I say this to you now only to qualify myself in this conversation. I attended AA, NA, and a few other 12-step thingy's from 2001 until around the time I met you. The programs gave me the tools to take my painkillers back to the VA and tell my doc, "You can no longer be my drug dealer." That was December 2004.

    i hope I haven't mis-read or mis-interpreted ur main points. i do appreciate the discussion.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all. David, will make a point of addressing tax exemptions, electoral reform, etc, in future posts. Rest assured. Keep 'em coming, and if you like it, share it. Hell, if you don't like it, share it. All visitors welcome. And yes, as I've stated from the outset, this blog is about my journey, path, progress and setbacks. I don't have anywhere near all my own answers yet, so am poorly positioned to be pushing them off on others. Hopefully readers will find something of value to help chart your own courses through life's ups and downs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmm, it's interesting to me that you say, "Most critically, you are not compelled to believe anything - only desire", and yet the main tenet behind most of the spiritual paths that you've mentioned at other times is, in fact, letting go of desire. now i understand that there is a difference between desire and the intention behind it. i also understand that AA is a great tool for helping channel that desire into a useful and productive force rather than allowing it to continually contribute to fueling the ego. i just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. asdfj, I caught that as I wrote it and chuckled. As I didn't write the "rules" for Taoism, Buddhism or Alcoholics Anonymous, I'm not in a position to rewrite. "Just the facts, m'am."

    However, another justaposition is that AA or any program designed to combat destructive addictive behaviors, is in fact targeting the elimination of a specific desire. So we are in facvt desiring to stop desiring. The simple truth that is most often repeated in AA is that, "The first step to not drinking is to not drink." It does have a sort of Zen ring to it, no?

    ReplyDelete